Father, 6-year-old son drown in Rappahannock River
A spring break outing turned tragic when a father and his 6-year-old son drowned in the Rappahannock River in Spotsylvania County.
Danny Sumner and his young son went to a boat landing off Legacy Lane on Saturday, March 22, sometime before 5 p.m. They were reported missing when they didn’t return home by 9:45 p.m. Deputies responding to the scene found Sumner’s vehicle and cell phone near the dock. Shortly after the Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Office Dive Team entered the water, they recovered both victims.
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
Prince William County
MALICIOUS WOUNDING | ARMED ROBBERY
Regency Apartments, Gardenia Ln, Manassas | March 20 (Arrests on March 23 & 29)
A 38-year-old woman was lured by acquaintances, assaulted, cut with a razor, and robbed.
- Malkia Dannelle Alexander, 40, of Fredericksburg – Charged with malicious wounding
- Devin Edward Thompson, 38, of Haymarket – Charged with malicious wounding and robbery
Both suspects have been arrested.
STRANGULATION [Domestic]
Deward Ct, Manassas | March 30, 9:00 p.m. (Reported March 31)
A 61-year-old woman was choked and beaten during a domestic dispute.
Otis Lee Allen, 54, is wanted for strangulation and domestic assault. He remains at large.
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
Domestic Dispute Turns Violent in Coverstone IV Apartments
At 10:10 p.m. on Friday, March 29, police were called to the Coverstone IV Apartments on Cass Place for a domestic incident. A 27-year-old woman told officers that her acquaintance, Micah Emmanuel Ragin, 30, of Kannapolis, N.C., assaulted and strangled her during an argument. The man also allegedly threatened her with a knife. Police obtained warrants for Ragin, who remains at large. He is wanted for strangulation, attempted malicious wounding, and domestic assault and battery.
Instagram Sale Leads to Armed Robbery
Early Saturday morning, March 30, a 21-year-old man reported being robbed at gunpoint during a meet-up to sell clothing through Instagram. The robbery occurred on Croce Court, also in the Coverstone IV Apartments. The buyer pulled a firearm and, with the help of an accomplice, stole clothing, money, and a firearm. No injuries were reported. The suspects fled before police arrived.
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
While officials provided few details about the suspect — whose name has not been released — U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia Erick Siebert said the individual was involved in gang-related criminal activity along the East Coast. The arrest is the latest in an ongoing effort to target violent gang members with suspected immigration violations.
“This arrest stems from a task force we launched on March 3, 2025, to identify and apprehend individuals in the country illegally who are involved in criminal enterprises,” said Siebert. “We are using an intelligence-based model to locate and arrest suspects.”
Of the 575 individuals identified so far by the task force, 342 have been arrested. Authorities say 81 of those arrested have confirmed gang ties, including to MS-13.
Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi, FBI Director Kash Patel, and other high-ranking officials joined Siebert at the press conference. Prince William County Police have a representative on the task force, but the department declined to comment on this specific arrest.
Prince William Board of County Supervisors Chair At-large Deshundra Jefferson responded to news of the arrest in a statement.
“Let me assure you that there is no welcome mat for criminals. Gang violence is not welcome anywhere – especially within Prince William County,” Jefferson said. “For too long, MS-13 has been terrorizing the communities where it has taken root, and I hope this arrest relieves some anxiety.
“We are still gathering additional information about this arrest that I hope will soon be shared publicly. But I would like to add that Prince William County follows all applicable state and federal laws.”
Several locally elected officials and members of the Prince William Board of County Supervisors said they were unaware of the arrest or Thursday’s press conference. Many regional and local media outlets were also not notified in advance.
The press conference is available to view online. Authorities say more information will be released as it becomes available.
Alan Gloss contributed to this report.


Prince William County:
Homicide-Related Arrest – Second Suspect Charged
Woodbridge (22192) – March 24, 2025
Police arrested Jonathan Alberto AGUILAR, 21, in connection with the concealment of a dead body investigation from February 8. His alleged accomplice, Maurice Jermaine WALLER, had been arrested earlier. The body of Robert Patrick HEARN, 42, was found on Trowbridge Drive.
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
- [Photo: Alan Gloss]
Prince William County
Gang Members Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Jailhouse Assault
Prince William County Commonwealth’s Attorney Amy Ashworth announced the successful prosecution of Bryan Hernandez Diaz and Jaime Garcia Mendoza following a gang-related assault on July 24, 2023, at the Prince William County Adult Detention Center in Manassas. Both men pleaded guilty to Malicious Wounding charges. Hernandez Diaz was sentenced to 10 years in prison on September 26, 2024, by Judge Robert P. Coleman. Mendoza received the same sentence on March 20, 2025, from Judge Tracey C. Hudson. Both were already in custody for unrelated violent felonies at the time of the attack and will serve probation upon release. The assault occurred inside Unit 13 Cell 1 when jail officers heard a cry for help. The victim was found bleeding heavily with multiple lacerations and puncture wounds consistent with sharp weapons, including a puncture wound to the chest. He told officers the attackers, including Diaz and Mendoza, declared intentions to kill him and believed he was affiliated with a rival gang to La Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13). Officers discovered bloody clothing in Diaz’s cell and a four-inch bloodied nail lodged in the toilet drain. The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Alex Brandler, with Detective Casey Nelsen serving as the case agent. Celina Cary and Elena Latham from the Victim Witness unit also assisted. “We will continue to focus our office’s resources on prosecuting those that commit violent acts, especially gang violence,” said Ashworth. Source: The Office of the Commonwealth’s AttorneyWoodbridge Teen Convicted of 2022 Homicide
A jury in Prince William County found Elijah Hadley, 19, guilty of first-degree murder, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and gang participation for the July 2022 shooting death of Brian D. Marshall II in Woodbridge. The verdict was reached on March 21, 2025. Sentencing is scheduled for June 5, 2025. Marshall was found with multiple gunshot wounds to his abdomen, arms, and legs. Investigators obtained Ring camera footage showing two masked individuals approaching the scene, opening fire, and fleeing. Weeks later, Hadley was arrested on an unrelated charge. A firearm found in his possession was confirmed through forensic testing to have been used in the homicide. His DNA was also found on shell casings at the scene, and clothing matching the shooters' attire was recovered from his home. The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorneys Kathleen Bilton and Zoe Bair, and Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Brandon Parker.“The evidence in this case was initially too weak to proceed to justice... I am proud of, and appreciate, all of the hard work by the prosecutors and police officers that contributed to bringing this case to justice,” said Ashworth.Victim Witness Director Tamara Thomas and Case Manager Celina Cary provided support to the victim’s family. Detectives S. Davis and D. Cupka were credited for their investigative work. Source: The Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney
Spotsylvania County
Man Arrested in Child Pornography Investigation
On March 10, 2025, the Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) unit received a cyber tip from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) regarding an online account allegedly used to upload and store child sexual abuse material. A search warrant was executed at the home of 28-year-old Bryson Jeleniewski in Spotsylvania County. Authorities seized multiple electronic devices. Jeleniewski was arrested and charged with two counts of 18.2-374.1:1(A) — possession, reproduction, distribution, solicitation, and facilitation of child pornography. He was remanded to the Rappahannock Regional Jail. The Spotsylvania County Sheriff’s Office is part of the NOVA-DC Internet Crimes Against Children Taskforce, a nationwide network that supports local and state investigations into online child exploitation. Community members are urged to report suspected child abuse to the Spotsylvania Sheriff’s Office, the Virginia CPS State Hotline, or NCMEC at https://report.cybertip.org or 1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678). Anonymous tips can be submitted through www.p3tips.com or the P3Tips app.Prince William County
Man Shot During Argument – Suspect Arrested
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
A paraprofessional at Conway Elementary School was arrested following an investigation into inappropriate conduct involving students, according to information from the Stafford Sheriff's Office posted on March 20, 2025.
The sheriff reports that the investigation began on March 18 after a student alerted school officials that a male staff member was misbehaving toward a female student. A School Resource Officer immediately began an investigation, and the case was referred to detectives with the Sheriff’s Office Special Victims Unit.
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
Fatal Hit-and-Run on Richmond Highway
A 53-year-old man was killed Wednesday night in a hit-and-run crash on Richmond Highway near Easy Street.
This article is FREE to read. Please Sign In or create a FREE account today. Make the smart choice for staying informed about your community. Thank you!
Malicious Wounding Arrest in Manassas
On March 14, authorities arrested Eric Yovany MELARA, 34, in connection to a brutal assault that took place on November 28, 2024, outside Columbus Grill in Manassas. The victim, a 27-year-old man, was repeatedly struck and kicked before the suspects fled. The first suspect, Christopher Osbaldo AGUIRRE-ARGUETA, was previously apprehended in January.
Commercial Burglary at Jersey Mike’s
On March 12, a burglary occurred at Jersey Mike’s in Woodbridge around 10:15 PM. The suspect, identified as Tyjaun Cattrell SMITH, 19, entered through an unlocked rear door and stole money from the cash register. He remains at large.