It is forcast to be Clear at 10:00 PM EST on November 22, 2014
Clear
45°/34°
It is forcast to be Rain at 10:00 PM EST on November 23, 2014
Rain
57°/57°

Lifestyle

Greater Prince William Community Health Center Holding Invitation-Only Job Fair

WOODBRIDGE, Va. – The Greater Prince William Health Center will hold an invitation-only job fair tomorrow.

The center has a location in Woodbridge at Ridgewood Center off Prince William Parkway and soon will expand to a second location in Manassas, at Evergreen Terrace at 9705 Liberia Avenue.

The center is looking to fill a total of 27 positions from doctors, dental assistants, to managerial and administrative jobs.

The Woodbridge center currently offers child wellness care, physicals for school, work, and sports, lab work, and family and internal medicine. Services are offered five days a week Monday through Friday, and evening appointments are available Mondays and Wednesdays.

In November, the center won a $650,000 grant from the Department of Health and Human Services under the national healthcare imitative known as Obamacare to expand. The new center is expected to open in March and plans to serve 5,000 new patients.

Frank Principi, who also serves at the elected Woodbridge District Supervisor on the Prince William County Board of Supervisors, will serve as the director for both community medical faculties.

Lupo Still Missing

121913-lupo

Update 12/13/13: Still missing! Hartwood area: Lupo is a 3-year-old husky mix. He was let out around 12:30 p.m. on Dec. 9.

He is solid white with ice blue eyes and his tail curls like the husky. He was not wearing a collar.

Lupo is skittish toward strangers, so he may not come up to you, But he is extremely friendly.

He is missed dearly and we have been out looking everyday since his disappearance.

Please call or txt me at 540-220-1325. I miss him and would like him home.

Manassas Mall Goes to the Dogs at Christmastime

Picture 1 of 5

MANASSAS, Va. – When it comes to pets this Christmas, Santa and his elves at Manassas Mall didn’t forget about their furry friends.

Hundreds lined up inside the mall Sunday night for the final night of pet photos with Santa. While there were mostly dogs – large and small – waiting for their close up with the jolly old elf, there were other kinds of animals, too.

Nicole Stone, of Centreville, brought her pet rabbit.

“…because he’s my rabbit…it’s a pet night, it didn’t say what type of animal you had to bring,” she said. “He’s pretty calm so I think he’ll behave when we get to sit on Santa’s lap.”

Two dogs, Peanut and Mookie, both three and four years old, respectively, were so excited it seemed they drug their owners to the mall to get photos.

“They are part of our family, and we want wanted to come get some crazy pet photos with them,” said Alisha Dantin, Centerville.

There was also an off-duty Prince William County Animal Control Officer standing in line. She brought her 3-year-old female whippet, Terra, to have her photo taken.

Dressed in uniform, she could’ve easily kept law an order among the pets if they had gotten out of hand, but the officer instead answered many questions about adopting animals at the county’s animal shelter.

“I get that a lot of adoption questions, almost on a daily basis, when I’m out working in uniform, like what kind of dogs there are to adopt,” said Officer Marcia Burns. “Many times when I go into neighborhoods, especially during the summertime, I love it because it’s an opportunity to educate kids, and opportunity to show the [animal control] vehicle, show the equipment, and show how it works.”

Manassas Mall held pet night photo sessions from Dec. 1 to Dec. 15. Photo packages ranged from $21 to $47.

‘Nebraska’ has Solid Lead Actor, Poor Script

Nebraska — Rated R — 2 stars of 5

I went to “Nebraska” today, and boy, are my eyes tired. Not sure who was more bored, me or the characters on the screen.

Ole Woody Grant (Bruce Dern from “Django Unchained”) got a letter saying he won a million dollars. He is set on going from his home in Montana to Lincoln, Neb., to pick up the money if it’s the last thing he does. His family tries to explain it’s all a scam, but Woody has to see this thing through.

Woody’s son, David (Will Forte from “Rock of Ages“), decides to drive him there after Woody attempts to walk the 900 miles a few times. These two barely get along and don’t know much about each other, and therein lies the purpose of the movie.

It seems life in the Midwest is so bleak that everything is black and white. I did appreciate Woody’s wife Kate (June Squibb from “Would You Rather“) bringing some colorful language and an inspired performance into the story.

Dern’s portrayal of a doddering old fart was so good you may think he didn’t even know he was in a movie. Nobody really likes Woody, including himself, and I must admit that Dern plays annoyed and annoying better than most.

I found much of the movie to be hampered by poor writing and superfluous scenes. The dialogue was so hacky and cliché’ you would think I wrote it. If this were a small indie I’d seen at a festival I would say, “Nice job.” But this picture was helmed by two-time Oscar winner Alexander Payne (“The Descendants”). This is his kind of movie, in an “About Schmidt” kind of way, although here the material came off as dreary as the scenery.

I love a good father and son story, and the geriatric road trip is one way to get there. I just wished they had gotten there and not literally stopped on the side of the road. There was so much talent in this movie and it was so poorly used. I swear to you, I thought for the first half of the movie they had just filmed their rehearsal.

For most fathers and sons, life does not work out like they would think. Woody thought he was going to win a million dollars and I thought I was going to see a great movie. We both were disappointed. I can only give this movie 2 stars out of 5. Nebraska may be a nice place to visit, but the movie isn’t.

Tom Basham is an indie filmmaker.

New Video Claims Ghost Hunters Touched at Weems-Botts Museum

/

DUMFRIES, Va. – A new video posted to Dumfries’ Weems-Botts Musuem Facebook page appears to chronicle the experience of a group of paranormal investigators at the museum, an old home that dates back to the 18th century.

The Weems-Botts Museum has gained national attention from TV shows on major networks. The center also holds annual ghost walks every October.

Osbourn High School Could Win a Grammy

Picture 1 of 2

Osbourn High School Choir [Submitted photo]

Submitted News

MANASSAS, Va. – Osbourn High School is one of 123 schools nationwide to have been named a GRAMMY Signature School semifinalist for 2014 by the GRAMMY Foundation. Created in 1998, the GRAMMY Signature Schools program recognizes top U.S. public high schools that are making an outstanding commitment to music education during an academic school year.

“Osbourn’s selection as a semifinalist by the GRAMMY Foundation is a testament to the strong Fine Arts program at the school,” said Manassas City Public Schools Superintendent Catherine Magouyrk. “From choral groups, to bands, ensembles and orchestras, our students have excelled at every level and we are very proud of them.”

“Osbourn’s selection as a semifinalist by the GRAMMY Foundation is a testament to the strong Fine Arts program at the school,”  Magouyrk added. “From choral groups, to bands, ensembles, guitarists and orchestras, our students have excelled at every level and we are very proud of them.”

GRAMMY Signature schools are made possible in part through the generous support of Converse, the Ford Motor Company Fund, the Hot Topic Foundation and Journeys.

The top programs are designated Gold recipients. The best of the Gold recipients is designated the National GRAMMY Signature School. The remaining schools are designated GRAMMY Signature Schools. For schools that are economically underserved the GRAMMY Foundation established the Enterprise Award category to recognize the efforts in music education made by these schools. The selection process for GRAMMY Signature Schools begins each year in August when the GRAMMY

Foundation mails notification to more than 20,000 public high schools from districts large and small, urban, suburban and rural, requesting information about each school’s music program.

The Grammy Foundation will announce the finalists for the Grammy Signature Schools program in mid-March 2014. If selected as a finalist, Osbourn High School will receive a custom award and a monetary grant ranging from $1,000 up to $15,000 to benefit its music program.

The GRAMMY Foundation was established in 1989 to cultivate theunderstanding, appreciation and advancement of the contribution ofrecorded music to American culture.

Delegate Anderson on Mend After Eye Surgery

PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY, Va. – Delegate Richard Anderson is recovering from emergency eye surgery.

The Prince William County elected leader underwent the surgery shortly after Thanksgiving after, he suffered a detached retina in his right eye. A portion of the retina in his eye tore when the fluid that surrounds the retina, called vitreous (vi-tree-us), to pull away and rip the retina much like wallpaper can tear from a wall.

Three surgeons were called in to help Anderson at the Fort Belvoir Community Hospital the day after Thanksgiving. The following Monday, Anderson returned to the clinic to have additional procedures to repair his eye.

After being released from the hospital on the day of the surgery and wearing an eye patch, Anderson has since removed it and is back at home recovering.

“Your eye is essentially blurred… right now I’m totally blind in the right eye… I’m doing everything with one eye,” said Anderson.

While he’s not in any pain – just some minor discomfort following the surgery – it has slowed down an elected leader to prides himself on responding to constituent’s email on the same day they land in his inbox.

Last December, Anderson suffered and got treatment for a similar condition in his left eye. This time, he immediately recognized the symptoms and sought treatment.

A retired Air Force Colonel, Anderson said his vision is the only physical problem he’s ever had. He urged everyone to have an annual eye exam to help identify and correct vision problems before they worsen.

“Thank god we live in today’s world of technology. If this was 50 years ago, I could be blind in one eye,” he said.

It should take about a month for his eyesight to get back to normal. When he returns to the Virginia State Capital in Richmond for the start of the General Assembly session Jan. 8, he hopes his recovered vision will provide him better insight on the tough issues facing the state.

Christ Chapel Mountaintop Seeks to Provide Toys

Submitted News

Christ Chapel Mountaintop and Toys for Tots understand the financial difficulties each family has undergone this past year. We would like to partner together with you to see this Christmas Season be a joyful time for everyone.

Registration will be held at 10501 Balls Ford Rd, Manassas, VA 20109 on Sunday, Dec. 15, 8:15 am – 12:30. Please remember to bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate. THIS IS THE LAST WEEK FOR REGISTRATION.

Breakfast with Santa will be held Dec 21, 10501 Balls Ford Rd, Manassas, VA 20109 from 8:00 am – 10:00. The toys will be distributed to all registered individuals.

If you would like more information about the Toys for Tots Outreach with Christ Chapel Mountaintop, please contact Melinda Word at melinda@ccmountaintop.org or call 478-396-7582.

Lost Dog in Dale City

“Vaca” was last seen on Dec. 6 on Birchdale Avenue in Dale City. He is a small black and white pappillion mix. Please contact 703-944-8622 or 571-282-8836.

Where You Can Get a Free Flu Shot in Woodbridge

WOODBRIDGE, Va. – The Prince William Health District on Saturday will provide free flu shots at the locally-owned Todos Supermarket Woodbridge.

Here’s more in a press release:

The Prince William Health District encourages everyone to protect themselves, those they love, and those around them by getting an annual flu shot. The Health District is helping by offering free flu shots for those three and older at the Todos Super Market on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2013 from 11 a.m. –until 2 p.m., or while vaccine supplies last. The Todos Super Market is located at 13905 Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 1) in Woodbridge, VA 22191.

The flu is a contagious illness caused by a virus and is spread by coughing, sneezing, or nasal discharge. Symptoms include fever, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, sore throat, cough, headache, and runny or stuffy nose. Anyone can get the flu, but those at greatest risk of complications are children, people 65 and older, pregnant women, and those with a weakened immune system.

The health district also offers these tips from the Centers for Disease Control for staying healthy during flu season:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.

• Try to avoid close contact with sick people. If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medicine.

• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

• Practice good health habits. Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy food.

‘Out of the Furnace’ Gritty, Showcases Dying Steel Town

Out of the Furnace– Rated R — 3 1/2 stars of 5

With snow on the way, today seemed like a good time to see “Out of the Furnace.” In a follow-up to his first feature, Writer/Director Scott Cooper (“Crazy Heart”) takes us to a Pennsylvania steel town.

It’s the story of two brothers who are raised the same way but turn out different. Yet, they are still brothers. Their father gave his life to the mill, and Rodney (Casey Affleck from “Ain’t Them Bodies Saints”) wants none of that. After four tours in Iraq, he still cannot find a way out of this town. His older brother, Russell (Christian Bale from “The Fighter”) accepts the mill as his life and he accepts his role of keeping his younger brother out of trouble.

In this town, trouble can be found at the hands of John Petty, (Willem Dafoe from “John Carter”) the gangster in residence. When Russell has to “go away” for awhile, Rodney goes to work for Petty who has a soft spot for the kid.

The big bad wolf in this story is Harlan DeGroat, (Woody Harrelson from “The Hunger Games”) who lives with the other inbreds in the mountains of New Jersey. Who knew they had those in Jersey? Mountains, that is, and not all mountain people deserve a reality TV show.

Scott Cooper milks everything he can out of this story and the under-whelming backdrop of a dying steel town. I think there were only three shots in the movie that did not have a smoke stack, a train track, a mountain or a grave yard. Add to that the caterwauling of Eddie Vedder, and you wonder if these boys are ever going to get out this pearl of a jam.

The movie was a bit slow, but more like movies of the seventies where you get to find out about characters and what makes them tick and stick around a place like this. The plot gave more than a nod to “The Deer Hunter” (Michael Cimino – 1978) along with a great supporting cast.

This movie is about brothers, and when something happens to your brother, you can’t let it go. You have to follow it “all the way to the end.” There is no perfect ending, but then it’s not a perfect world. That must mean that I cared about these people. That makes it a pretty good movie. Good enough for 3 ½ stars out of 5. Now I gotta call my brother.

Tom Basham is an indie filmmaker.

Ellwood a Gentle Male Jindo

Ellwood  is such a sweet and wonderful dog! Ellwood is a gentle, neutered male Jindo. He is about 2 years old and weights 45 lbs. Ellwood is looking for his Fur-ever home for the holidays!

For more information on this animal, visit staffordspca.org/contact-us.html

Paddy is Playful

Paddy is decked out in his finest, hoping to be invited to your home – as a permanent guest!

Paddy is a playful, happy,3 year old male tabby. He is UTD on all his shots, neutered and litter boxed trained.

For more information on this animal, visit staffordspca.org/contact-us.html

Nearly 100 Inmates Join Church of Pastor who Preaches at Prince William – Manassas Jail

Picture 1 of 3

Pastor Tony Lewis preaches to inmates at the Prince William – Manassas Regional Adult Detention Center each week.

MANASSAS, Va. – As the men quietly file into the gymnasium, Pastor Tony Lewis gives each a hug and a handshake. Lewis knows them by name, he understands each story, and supports the men as they pass days, weeks, sometimes years at the Prince William – Manassas Regional Adult Detention Center in Manassas.

“I am here to explain heavy theology to an average guy coming out of PWC jail who does not like church, but wants a relationship with Jesus,” Lewis said before the service. “

The seats in the gymnasium fill with men. Some are wearing blue jumpsuits; some green and others white shirts and pants. Each inmate at the facility wears clothes based on the severity of the crime committed. Green offenders are the lowest level and least violent, blue are more violent and inmates wearing white are called trustees. Trustees work within the jail cleaning, cooking and helping with the running of daily life.

“I treat these people with respect,” Officer Darien Ruggles says, “I try to treat them with empathy. We are the only contact these men have with people sometimes for years.”

During the service, Ruggles, who is the Inmate Programs Coordinator, watches the inmates as Lewis speaks to them. Reminding the men that God has a plan for them. Hopefully, teaching them lessons that will help with life on the outside Lewis says.

“It was a spiritual awakening,” says Shawn Ennis, 43, who is serving time for grand larceny. “Pastor Tony is not much different than we are; he tells it like it is.”

Ennis will be in jail until March 2015, but he hopes to join Pastor Lewis’s church after his release.

“The pastor helps us with our addiction issues,” Ennis said in an interview. “He teaches us how to find and use the tools available in the bible to help us with every day life.”

Pastor Lewis preaches to inmates every Saturday night in a program called Saturday Night Live. He also meets with inmates one-on-one during counseling sessions on Wednesdays. The program has become popular with inmates. During the last few months, Lewis says 92 men have been baptized into his congregation.

“My being here is a blessing,” Victor Romero says quietly.

He is a small man, and not intimidating. But Romero’s list of crimes is lengthy.

He is serving more than two years for drug sales and crimes associated with the gang he ran with.

“I have had no contact with my Dad since age 12 when I left home. Pastor Tony has helped me learn forgiveness and love for myself and others,” said Romero.

In his spare time, Romero writes poetry about his religious experience. He speaks of helping his fellow man after his release.

“I found acceptance on the street through gangs, drugs and violence, but now I know what love is thanks to Pastor Tony.”

As the services winds down, Tony and Charlet Lewis look out at the men and Tony asks them to bow their heads. He raises his hands over the assembly and asks God to look after the men for another week.

It is a happy gathering, not aggressive or violent. The men seem at peace with life in jail.

“I want these men to have an understanding of the world around them when they leave here,” Lewis says after the service. “We are giving inmates life skills and teaching them self respect.”

Lewis has a congregation on the outside too. He works in Manassas helping the needy, giving meals out to families for Thanksgiving and says he hopes that Light of Life will be known as the city’s church.

“I love people and I love serving especially in Manassas and Prince William County,” he said.

For more information on the Light of Life church visit lightoflifetoday.org.

Found Apso Lhasa or Shih tzu Near Enon Road in Stafford

Found Apso lhasa or Shih tzu near Enon Rd. in south Stafford on 11-21-13. Please respond if you know who owns this dog. She is sweet and well mannered. She hasn’t been homeless for long. Please call if you have any info, 540-207-1082 or Email: aeburks@verizon.net

Page 10 of 67« First...89101112...203040...Last »