Read Us Daily for News in Prince William, Manassas, & Stafford

Major Fire Breaks Out off Heathcote Boulevard in Gainesville

Update Wednesday, June 11

A total of four families were displaced by Friday’s fire in Gainesville. Officials have credited a working smoke detector with saving lives.

Here’s more in an unedited press release:

On Friday, June 6th at approximately 10:00 a.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single family home located in the 6200 block of Hollow Glen Court in Gainesville. The resident was alerted to the growing fire in the garage by a smoke detector which activated throughout the house.

Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed fire in the garage that had extended to the attic and to the neighboring structures. A second alarm was sounded as the blaze spread to the three adjacent structures.

Red Cross was called to assist four families displaced by the fire.

No injuries reported.

The building department assessed three of the homes and posted them as unsafe.

The Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the fire.

Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives. You double your chances of surviving a fire when you install working smoke alarms in your home. Remember to:

• Install smoke detectors on every level within the home including the basement.
• Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries as needed.
• Change batteries when you change clocks (spring and fall).
• Replace smoke detectors every 10 years.

Update 11:06 a.m. 

A total of four structures burned during a 2-alarm fire this morning in Gainesville.

The fire appeared to have originated from one home and spread to three other structures, according to initial reports.

10:37 a.m. 

GAINESVILLE, Va. — Fire and rescues on the scene of a major fire in the 6800 Hollow Glen Court in Gainesville.

The fire appears to have broken out in a row of town homes about 10 a.m.

Several homes have been reported to have been burning in the neighborhood just off Heathcote Boulevard. A second alarm was called just before 10:30 a.m. to provide initial crews on the scene more help in battling the blaze.

More as we have it.

Send news and photos to Potomac Local
  • bubba

    One of the major reasons i avoided buying a townhouse …..1 house takes out 3 others…..feel bad for the people though

    • Jen W

      I live across the street. They aren’t town homes. They are single family homes. The article is mistaken and the picture is misleading. Wind caused it to spread.

    • Jen W


      Edit: not sure why it posted 2 of the same pic…

      • js

        Why is the picture “misleading”? The fire didn’t happen and the homes aren’t close? So sad you aren’t more concerned about the fate of your neighbors, rather, you care about being labelled a “townhouse”.

        • Jen W

          Really? That’s what you took from my comment? The fire absolutely happened and I care alot about my neighbors. We are a very close community and are making sure they all have what they need. I was simply saying the article was incorrect. I would think that news reports should state facts. That is all I meant by correcting it. Sorry if you took it as me being insensitive.

A word from our sponsors...