For a Better Commute. For Better Connected Communities in Prince William & Stafford, Va.

Chase Suspect has Warrants in Prince William

A man wanted on outstanding warrants in Prince William and Arlington counties led police on a pursuit along Interstate 66 on Saturday.

Police said the suspected jumped into the driver’s seat of a Dodge Charger after it had been stopped by police near U.S. 50 in Fairfax County. The ensuing pursuit led officers into Arlington where the suspect’s car hit two others causing it to spin out.

Here’s how it all happened, according to Virginia State Police:

At 3:05 p.m. Saturday (Aug. 2), a Virginia State Police trooper initiated a traffic stop on a Dodge Charger for driving in the shoulder (also known as the “Red X Lane”) along the eastbound lanes of Interstate 66. The Charger stopped for the trooper near Exit 57 for Route 50 in Fairfax County.

A check on the driver’s information revealed she had an outstanding warrant. As the trooper was taking the driver, Ericka S. Oliver, 25, into custody, the male passenger inside the Dodge Charger jumped into the driver’s seat and fled from the scene. Oliver was taken into custody without incident and transported to Fairfax County Adult Detention Center on the outstanding warrant.

Meanwhile, another trooper at the scene pursued the fleeing Dodge Charger. The Dodge Charger headed east on I-66, got off I-66 at Route 123, flipped around on Route 123, and got back onto Route 66 heading east. As the Dodge Charger caught up with traffic near Sycamore Street in Arlington County, it struck a Ford Expedition causing it to spin out. The Dodge Charger then rear-ended a Subaru Outback.

The driver of the Dodge Charger, Anthony G. McCrae, 33, of Washington, D.C., was taken into custody without further incident. He was transported to Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington for treatment of serious, but non-life threatening injuries. McCrae is being held without bond at the hospital on outstanding warrants from Arlington and Prince William counties. Additional charges are pending further investigation by Virginia State Police into today’s pursuit and crash.

The two adults in the Ford Expedition suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene.

There were three male adults in the Subaru Outback. Two suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene; one suffered serious injuries and was transported to Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington for treatment.

By 5:55 p.m., all eastbound lanes of I-66 were cleared and opened to through traffic.

Post Your Email Notices, Press Releases, Event Fliers, and Photos

Readers also enjoyed...
A word from our sponsors...