News Call to Action: Transitional Housing BARN Needs Help Sorting Donations Monthly Yard Sales
Good morning – It’s back to school time at SERVE so I have two super projects for you- first Please stop by the Philadelphia Tavern in Old Town Manassas on Thursday August 14th from 5-8pm to enjoy great prices on drinks and appetizers and lots of fun between 5-8pm and bring non-perishable food for their food pantry. Things are very sparse this time of year so please do you best to help out those less fortunate. Secondly, volunteers are needed the following week on August 19th from 3-6pm and August 20th from 9am-1pm to distribute backpacks to the kids with new school supplies. Please email Jan to sign up for this fun event at: email@example.com
· Historic Manassas has lots of fun events and volunteers are needed to help! The first event is the Civil War Weekend on Saturday August 23rd. Volunteers are needed to be parade marshals in the morning and Bourbon servers and checking ID’s from 5:30-8:15pm. The next event on Saturday September 13th for the Bands, Brews and BBQ Festival. Volunteers are needed for the morning shift of 10:45am- 2:45 to pour beer, check ID’s, assist with ticket sales or checking the VIP tent Id’s. They also need these exact same jobs done for the afternoon shift of 2:30-6pm. These events are super fun so please call Kristina at (703) 361-6599 for more info.
· Transitional Housing BARN needs adult volunteers to help sort and organize donations for their monthly yard sales. Come join the team that works during the week between 8am-2pm. They also need volunteers the second Saturday of each month to set up from 6am-8:30 am and then take down late morning. This is perfect for all the early birds out there and then you can get your round of golf in. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for more info.
· Capital Caring is starting a new program and is need of artists, musicians, people with certified pet therapy animals, and regular, amazing people with time to share to bring wonder of creating something beautiful to their patients. Contact Rachael at 703-957-1785 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. The next training is August 23rd. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· Manassas Museum is seeking docents for their fall schedule. If you have love of history and like people, the Museum is the place for you! Make the past come alive by joining this great team – call 703-368-1873 for details.
· Have a positive impact on your community through teaching! Volunteer with Catholic Charities Hogar Immigrant Services. Call Jackie at 571-208-1572 X104.
· House of Mercy launches shoe drive to benefit children in need: The No Shoes/New Shoes program is underway. Look for this Manassas non-profit organization’s collection boxes, located throughout Manassas and Gainesville or call 703-659-1636 to find out more.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for PALS. Michele will match you in a mutually enriching friendship for monthly outings in the community with someone close to your age. They also need a group that can help them prepare for the United Way campaign- great project for teens. For more information please email: email@example.com – you don’t know how special you are until you make someone smile.
· Literacy Volunteers of America are gearing up for their next volunteer tutor training on September 20th and October 4th. Come share your enthusiasm with another adult to help them with their literacy skills. The training will give you all the skills needed to be successful. Please call (703) 670-5702 to learn more.
· Saved Hands Foundation offers a number of services to homeless individuals in Woodbridge. Volunteers are needed to teach Microsoft Office during traditional business hours. They also need a grant writer to help solicit resources to help their clients and a Human Resources Director to manage resources services, policies, and programs. Learn more by visiting them on the web at www.SavedHandsFoundation.org and click on Volunteer Opportunities. Come be part of this expanding team – please call Pamela at (703) 895-6681 to learn more.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
May 26, 2016
May 25, 2016
May 23, 2016
May 20, 2016
May 19, 2016