News Call to Action: Celebrate Christmas in July
Good morning – It’s COMING . . . Christmas in July! Don’t forget to join us for fun activities to benefit our Un Trim A Tree Holiday Gift program for needy kids living right here in our community. Christmas in July is a two day event starting at 5pm on July 24th with Old Town Manassas Restaurants collecting toys and donating a portion of their receipts to the program so this is the perfect way to treat your family to dinner out on a Thursday night in Old Town. Please visit your choice of the following restaurants: City Square, Mackey’s, Philly Tavern, Malone’s, Bad to the Bone, Siam Classic, Grounds Central Station, Old Town Sports Pub, Monza/Carmelo’s, El Cactus, or Katerina’s!
On July 25th please join the wonderful folks at the Columbus Grill in Manassas for their Annual benefit event including dinner, drinks, dancing to a live band and DJ, Santa and tons of fun for just $35 and two toys for the kids. Columbus Grill throws a super party! Reserve your seats today at: www.columbusgrill.net – On Dasher . . .
· Saved Hands Foundation offers a number of services to homeless individuals in Woodbridge. Volunteers are needed to teach Microsoft Office during traditional business hours. They also need a grant writer to help solicit resources to help their clients and a Human Resources Director to manage resources services, policies, and programs. Learn more by visiting them on the web at www.SavedHandsFoundation.org and click on Volunteer Opportunities. Come be part of this expanding team – please call Pamela at (703) 895-6681 to learn more.
· The Prince William Conservation Alliance has upcoming events for all you outdoor enthusiasts: Sunday, July 27 from 8-10am is weed and water day at K9 Gunner Dog Park buffer area Colby Drive and Minnieville Rd. – this area was transformed with over 200 trees, shrubs, and wildflowers. Now it is time for some maintenance work! If you want to help with this project or become a regular volunteer at Merrimac Farm contact Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-499-4954.
· Hey students, get a jump on those community service hours for school! SERVE in Manassas has a need for volunteers age 16 and up who can help serve dinner to shelter residents on weeknights. Timeframe is 4:30pm to 6:30pm, and training is provided. You will help set-up the serving line, serve the meal, and help with cleanup.
· Another great youth opportunity – make your summer count! The Manassas Department of Family Services has a special request of food donations for homeless individuals. These folks do not have the ability to cook or prepare meals as we do at home so items needed include tuna and chicken in pouches, pop-top fruits, cup of soup where you pour the hot water over and let it sit, trail mixes, hand wipes and other fun things you come across in the grocery store. Please drop off your donations at Family Services- 9324 West Street Manassas during traditional business hours of 8:30-4:30pm.
· The American Red Cross is looking for volunteers to provide administrative support to their leadership councils and special events. Duties include database management, communication with donors and typical administrative tasks. Minimum age is 18 and this position promises to be very helpful to your resume. Please call Pamela at (703) 584-8444 to learn more.
· Give the gift of literacy to Prince William area adults! If you would like to help adults reach their life goals through improved literacy skills, contact Literacy Volunteers of America – they will train you to become a certified adult literacy tutor! The next training workshop is September 20, 2014 (8:45am to 4pm) and October 4, 2014 (9am to noon). Attendance both days is required. Contact them at 703-67-5702 or email@example.com. To visit them on the web: www.lvapw.org.
· Capital Caring is starting a new program and is need of artists and regular, amazing people with time to share to bring wonder of creating something beautiful to their patients. Contact Rachael at 703-957-1785 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. The next training is August 23rd. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· Transitional Housing BARN needs adult volunteers to help sort and organize donations for their monthly yard sales. Come join the team that works during the week between 8am-2pm. They also need volunteers the second Saturday of each month to set up from 6am-8:30 am and then take down late morning. This is perfect for all the early birds out there and then you can get your round of golf in. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for more info.
· Coming August 12-14! It is National Health Center Week and the Greater Prince William Community Health Center will hold its 6th annual celebration under the tents at Ridgewood Health Center between 8am and 2pm. Volunteers are needed to help. Please call Richard at 703-680-7950 Ext. 3107.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
Subscribe Now for Free!
Get updates straight to your inbox.
A word from our sponsors...
January 13, 2017
January 9, 2017
January 6, 2017
January 5, 2017
December 29, 2016
December 27, 2016