Update —  A boy pulled from a swimming pool in Aquia Harbour was flown to Richmond for extensive medical treatment Sunday night.

The child was pulled from the swimming pool on Washington Drive inside the gated community in North Stafford at 7:34 p.m.

According to Stafford sheriff’s spokesman Bill Kennedy, lifeguards at the pool spotted the child floating in the pool, pulled him from the water and began administering CPR.

EMS and police arrived five minutes after 911 was called and took over the administration of CPR.

The child was taken to a local hospital and later flown to VCU Medical Center in Richmond. His condition was not released.

The Stafford County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident.

Aquia Harbour has closed both the Harbour Inn swimming pool, where the incident took place, and the country club swimming pool until Thursday.

10 p.m. Sunday

NORTH STAFFORD, Va. — A 5-year-old boy is clinging to life tonight after nearly drowning at a swimming pool inside the gated Aquia Harbour community.

The boy was pulled from the swimming pool about 7:30 p.m., and a lifeguard began administering CPR. An attempt to use a defibrillator failed and CPR was resumed. He was taken to a local hospital where he is being treated, said Stafford County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Bill Kennedy.

More information about the child’s condition is expected to be released by the sheriff’s office on Monday morning.

Aquia Harbour Police turned over the investigation into the incident to the Stafford sheriff’s office. Aquia Police Chief Patricia Harman called the matter a “delicate situation.”

Located in North Stafford, more than 7,000 adults and 2,000 children call Aquia Harbour home. The community includes a marina and country club in addition to its swimming pool.

Send news and photos to Potomac Local

11 Responses to “UPDATED: Boy, 5, Pulled from Aquia Harbour Swimming Pool” (Leave a Comment)

1. Stan Miles says:

When they say “delicate” that usually means the parents are somewhat high profile and they don’t want to be embarrassed by their own irresponsible parenting..

• Nancy says:

For now, I think we should all be praying for a good outcome for this child; regardless whether the child is a boy or girl or is 5 or 7. Clearly a child nearly drowned and is critical condition. I would think that is top concern for all. But of course the matter must be investigated to see what really happened and hopefully to insure it never happens again. Very tragic. Pray for this child rather than be ugly to one another here.

• Meghan Molter Brandt says:

First let me say that I am praying for your family at this time and hope that your nephew is going to be all right.
      Secondly I too am the mother of a boy who drowned in a community pool and was made to look bad in their effort to cover their *sses. My son was at a day camp when he drown, when the life guard finally pulled him from the pool he was blue but the life guard froze and did not start CPR, had it not been for a school nurse at the pool with her kids that day my son would not be with us. But the press release that the director of the community pools put out said that I had dropped my 7 yo son off at the pool and was at the park next door with my younger daughter. Never mentioning that he was in the care of the community center. The story was all over the news and I had family and friends calling saying they couldn’t believe I had just left him there, all while trying to deal with my son’s health and if he was going to be okay.

Please tell your sister she is not alone and not everyone believes the news stories, even us great mothers can trust our kids to the wrong people sometimes (counselors, lifeguards, babysitters, etc) and to not pay attention to the derogatory remarks especially during this trying time. Just concentrate on getting that little boy better (((hugs))) and prayers.

• Stan Miles says:

Allow me to clarify. Rereading my comment I absolutely see why it was taken the way it was and for that I apologize. When writing that my thoughts were more on mainstream media’s tendency to fall away from the truth with high profile subjects and being that Aquia Harbour has a few it was the first thing to pop in mind. I truly didn’t have that child’s family in mind specifically. Furthermore, if there were comments posted prior to mine explaining the event in more detail they were not visible to me at that time so my response was reactionary and in hind sight hasty. Whether or not the boy had the proper supervision at a public pool and everyone’s lack of responsibility for not having known how to save him seems to be the question in play. Hope it gets answered.

2. Mitzi Wilkinson Champion says:

No Stan, it’s delicate because with the advent of social media, it would be possible for family members and friends to end up reading about it on Facebook. I think disparaging the parental behavior in the aftermath of a tragedy is extremely insensitive.

3. Tina says:

I have a lot to say…first off my nephew is not 5, he is 4! Not only that, but none of the lifeguards knew what to do when my lifeless nephew was found floating in the water by his mother. Only one lifeguard had CPR EXPERIENCE and began CPR. This article has been published and no one has contacted the mother or our family to see how he is doing. Aquia harbor should be ashamed of themselves to have hired inexperienced teenagers to call themselves life guards!

4. Dean says:

I don’t know where you’re getting your facts from. This is awful and you guys are making this sound like you took action immediately. I am his uncle. Call the mother of this four year old ASAP and stop trying to justify or positively incline your staffs action towards the matter, or the lack there of.

5. Uriah Kiser says:

PotomacLocal.com experienced problems with our site’s commenting system earlier today. Some comments that were made on this post do not appear. PotomacLocal.com did not delete these comments. Those who posted a comment earlier and do not see it on this page are asked to repost.

6. Laurie says:

I would hope that all parents be vigilant when at the pool and help the lifeguards if they see anything abnormal going on. People drown at the blink of an eye. If we are all watching and helping everyone’s child it should never happen again. Aquia Harbor is a strong community. If you don’t want to watch everyones child then at least watch your own. That would help a lot. I pray for this family to get through this and the community to be undivided.

7. Holly Rice Feliciano says:

I heard the little boy passed….is this true? Prayers for all involved.

8. farid says:

I wonder what happen in my neighbor house next door , on sunday night 29 th around 430am , over 20 police officers , crime investigation unit ,ambulances
    parked all around the neighbor house on pilgrim cove 1 st section ,
    since than I checked local news , internet , no word regarding sunday night movement , since sunday I never saw my neighbor john nor his wife , usually
    they walk there little dog named sasha , iam just worried , and I hope
    someone can get the news out about that sunday 29 around 430 am .

Have Something to Say?