News Call to Action: Birmingham Green Looks to Expand Music in the Courtyard Program
· Good morning – Transitional Housing BARN needs adult volunteers to help sort and organize donations for their monthly yard sales. Come join the team that works during the week between 8am-2pm. They also need volunteers the second Saturday of each month to set up from 6am-8:30 am and then take down late morning. This is perfect for all the early birds out there and then you can get your round of golf in. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for more info.
· Transitional Housing BARN also needs volunteers to help paint rooms for the new moms and their children coming in as well as new twin including sheets, blankets, pillows, bath sets as well so all the new families begin their stay with new household items. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for more info.
· SERVE in Manassas is also in need of bedding supplies for families entering the shelter. They specifically need new bed pillows, bunk bed guards and pack and play cribs. Donations can be dropped off at SERVE admin building located at 10056 Dean Drive, Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm.
· The Salvation Army needs volunteers on Thursday June 26th from 10am-1pm to help with food distribution at the B-thrifty thrift shop on Jeff Davis Hwy in Woodbridge. This is a monthly event for them. Please call Captain George at (202) 497-0234 to help.
· Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to provide lunch for volunteers at Maria’s house in Manassas Park on June 26th and 27th. Sandwiches, chips and a drink go a long way to fortify these volunteers. Please call Kelly at (703) 369-6708 to help.
· The Manassas Department of Family Services has a special request of food donations for homeless individuals. These folks do not have the ability to cook or prepare meals as we do at home so items needed include tuna and chicken in pouches, pop-top fruits, cup of soup where you pour the hot water over and let it sit, trail mixes, hand wipes and other fun things you come across in the grocery store. Please drop off your donations at Family Services- 9324 West Street Manassas during traditional business hours of 8:30-4:30pm.
· Hey moms – are you looking for a project for your kids to do this summer? Please consider a food drive in your neighborhood as SERVE continues to need food donations for their food pantry in Manassas especially now as school is out and kids are missing their school lunch. They have an urgent need for the following basics to help families in need- cold cereals, pasta, pasta sauce, canned vegetables, mac & cheese, canned fruit, crackers and plastic grocery bags. You can drop off the donations Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm and Wednesdays until 7:30pm.
· Birmingham Green in Manassas is looking to expand their Music in the Courtyard program. They are looking for musicians/bands of any genre to come play in the evenings for the residents. They also need a sign language volunteer to visit one of the residents on a weekly basis. This senior facility continues to offer neat ways to bring a little sunshine to the residents. Please call Zach at (703) 257-6252 to learn more.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for PALS volunteers to participate in a one to one friendship with a survivor of brain injury. They have a gentleman in Prince William who would love someone to help with his model trains. They also have a lady in Manassas who attends yoga class at the Freedom Center and would love a partner to accompany her. Please contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of America continue to need volunteers help their clients improve their literacy skills. The next training begins July 12th. It’s the perfect way to make your summer special by helping another adult improve their life skills. Please call (703) 670-5702 to learn more or visit their website at: lvapw.org.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. The next training is August 23rd. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
August 25, 2016
August 23, 2016
August 22, 2016
August 22, 2016
August 18, 2016
August 18, 2016