Call to Action: Chicken in Pouches, Pop-top Fruits, Cups of Soup Sought for Homeless
· Good morning – The Manassas Department of Family Services has a special request of food donations for homeless individuals. These folks do not have the ability to cook or prepare meals as we do at home so items needed include tuna and chicken in pouches, pop-top fruits, cup of soup where you pour the hot water over and let it sit, trail mixes, hand wipes and other fun things you come across in the grocery store. Please drop off your donations at Family Services- 9324 West Street Manassas during traditional business hours of 8:30-4:30pm.
· Hey teens age 16yrs. And older – SERVE in Manassas has the perfect way to start your summer volunteering. They have an urgent need for help with inventory at the Thrift Store on June 24th from 8am-noon. It’s the end of their fiscal year so this is a very important task at hand. Please email Jan at: email@example.com for more info.
· Hey moms – are you looking for a project for your kids to do this summer? Please consider a food drive in your neighborhood as SERVE continues to need food donations for their food pantry in Manassas. They have an urgent need for the following basics to help families in need- cold cereals, pasta, pasta sauce, canned vegetables, mac & cheese, canned fruit, crackers and plastic grocery bags. You can drop off the donations Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm and Wednesdays until 7:30pm.
· Birmingham Green in Manassas is looking to expand their Music in the Courtyard program. They are looking for musicians/bands of any genre to come play in the evenings for the residents. They also need a sign language volunteer to visit one of the residents on a weekly basis. This senior facility continues to offer neat ways to bring a little sunshine to the residents. Please call Zach at (703) 257-6252 to learn more.
· Special Olympics are holding an Open House for athletes interested in participating in their programs. Please join them on Thursday June 26th, 6pm at St Thomas United Methodist Church on Sudley Road Manassas. Your child will have the opportunity to complete a skills assessment and meet the coaches and volunteers. Please call Darlin at (703) 582-9969 to learn more.
· The Adult Healthcare facility in Woodbridge at the Ferlazzo Building needs volunteers to cover the front desk. Hours are just 10am-3pm and duties include answering phones and greeting participants. This wonderful program gives older fragile individuals a chance to enjoy others and do fun things. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 for more info.
· The Restorative Justice program in Manassas needs a bi-lingual Spanish speaker to help with the teens coming into the program. It’s a super way to practice your skills and help a kid. Please call James at (703) 792-4073 for more info.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for PALS volunteers to participate in a one to one friendship with a survivor of brain injury. They have a gentleman in Prince William who would love someone to help with his model trains. They also have a lady in Manassas who attends yoga class at the Freedom Center and would love a partner to accompany her. Please contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of America continue to need volunteers help their clients improve their literacy skills. The next training begins July 12th. It’s the perfect way to make your summer special by helping another adult improve their life skills. Please call (703) 670-5702 to learn more or visit their website at: lvapw.org.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. The next training is August 23rd. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.