News Call to Action: Get a Tax Break on Hurricane Preparedness Supplies
Good morning –
· Please don’t forget that Hurricane season is right around the corner so mark your calendars for our annual Hurricane preparedness sales tax holiday – May 25th-31st. It’s a great time to stock up on chainsaws, ice packs, batteries, light sources, first aid kits, radios, tarps and fire extinguishers to name just a few. I will have more to come so mark your calendars!
· House of Mercy has started a mobile food pantry in George Town South. Please call Ann at 703-659-1636 to find out about all their activities and how you can help.
· Old Bridge United Methodist Church needs volunteers on Saturday May 31st to bag sweet potatoes for distribution to the needy in the community. Many hands are needed to bag 40,000 pounds of taters! They will be at the church from 8:30-3pm. The church is located at 3966 Old Bridge Road.
· Literacy Volunteers of Prince William are looking for volunteer tutors to work with adults. The next training is in July. Please visit: lvapw.org for more info. Also, please mark your calendars for Wednesday June 4th to join them at the Annual Taste of Prince William at the VFW Hall in Dale City. It promises to be a wonderful evening for a wonderful agency.
· Habitat for Humanity Restore has some big projects coming up and could use some extra help. Please call: 703-369-6708 for all the details.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for PALS volunteers to participate in a one to one friendship with a survivor of brain injury in Fairfax. They also have a gentleman in Prince William who would love someone to help with his model trains. Too bad my brother lives in Vermont- he loves trains. Please contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org. for more info.
· Volunteers are needed at SERVE for three upcoming events. Volunteers are needed at the Save ‘N’ Serve Thrift Store on June 22 8am – 12pm Volunteers are needed at the Food Pantry June 26-27 9am – 5pm. Volunteers are also needed to hand out fliers and sort donations during the thrift store’s Customer Appreciation Sale on May 31st 10am – 3pm. Volunteers must be at least 16yrs old. Please email Jan at:email@example.com to learn more.
· Speaking of hungry families – the Haymarket Food Pantry needs your help as they are low on food supplies for needy families. Please consider picking up a few extras items when you shop for groceries this week. Especially needed at this time includes cereal, oatmeal, canned fish, soup, pasta, beans and rice, canned fruit, baby food and canned vegetables. You can drop off your donations on Monday and Friday mornings 10am-noon at the pantry located at: 14740 Washington Street in Haymarket.
· Area Agency on Aging needs volunteers to cover the front desk at their Adult day Healthcare program in Woodbridge. Hours are Monday-Friday from 10am-3pm. Tasks include answering phones and greeting participants. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· The Salvation Army also needs a Spanish speaker to help with gathering information from needy families seeking assistance at their Woodbridge office. They would love this volunteer 1-2 days a week either in the morning or afternoon. This is a busy office offering great services to the community and a wonderful way for anyone interested in social services to gather great experience. Please call Emily at (202) 756-3906 to learn more.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
May 26, 2016
May 25, 2016
May 23, 2016
May 20, 2016
May 19, 2016
May 18, 2016