Benedictine Sisters Break Ground on Place of Peace Columbarium
– May 9, 2014 9:58 am
BRISTOW, Va. -– The Benedictine Sisters of Virginia broke ground today on the Place of Peace Columbarium that will be located on the grounds of the Benedictine Sisters.
A columbarium is a structure that holds urns containing cremated remains.
The first phase of the Place of Peace Columbarium will hold a total of eighty niches. Phase two and three will provide another two hundred sixteen niches.
Near the Shrine of Saint Benedict and not far from the peace silos and labyrinth, the site will be a beautiful and peaceful place for the cremated remains of loved ones. The surrounding gardens will give family members a place to visit and the columbarium will serve as a reminder of the mysteries of life, death and resurrection and be a quiet place for meditation.
Dignitaries who attended were Senator Charles Colgan, D-29th District; Senator George Barker, D-39th District; Supervisor W.S. Wally Covington III, Brentsville District; and Ryan Gallaway, Legislative Aide for Delgate Richardson L. Anderson, R-51st District.
Sister Cecilia Dwyer, OSB, Prioress of the Benedictine Sisters opened the Ceremony with prayer to bless the ground the Columbarium will be built upon. The Benedictine Sisters came to Virginia on May 1, 1868 and were also celebrating their foundation day of 146 years.
For more information on the Benedictine Sisters of Virginia and their ministries, contact Maureen O’Donnell, Development Coordinator at 571-428-2503 or firstname.lastname@example.org.