News Call to Action: Rippon Lodge Clean Up Coming
Good morning – Happy National Volunteer Week! And here’s a huge cheers to lots of fun activities in April- and yes Virginia, I think spring has finally arrived-
· Come support the Bill Mehr Drop-in Shelter on Thursday April 10th at the Silver Diner at Potomac Mills. Treat yourself and mom by dining at the diner and the shelter will receive a donation from all the meals purchased between 5-9pm.
· Rippon Lodge needs your help with their Annual clean-up day on Saturday April 12th from 9am-2pm. Tasks include invasive plant removal, meadow grass planting, pruning, trail maintenance, mulch spreading and more. Families very welcome, come get your hands a little dirty and feel super. Please call (703) 499-9812 to register.
· SERVE in Manassas needs volunteers to prepare and serve brunch and dinner on Sunday April 12th and dinner on Easter Sunday – April 20th. Volunteers should supply all the food ingredients for their meal but certainly can use their fabulous kitchen as needed. It’s the perfect way to share your holiday recipes with the residents of the shelter. Please contact Jan via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org to help.
· The BARN is gearing up for their spring activities. Volunteers are needed to paint a couple of rooms at the shelter as well as 9 volunteers are needed to tutor children and moms in life skill topics. You also don’t want to miss the huge yard sale on Saturday April 12th from 8am-noon. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for all the specifics.
· Volunteers are needed at the big Comcast Cares Project in Manassas on Saturday April 26th from 9am-1pm. Tons of volunteers will be cleaning up at the Boys & Girls Club, Jennie Dean School, the SERVE Shelter and the Winter Branch Trail. This is a wonderful community partnership and you can register with the project at: leadershipprincewilliam.org.
· Keep Prince William Beautiful needs volunteers for the Annual Route 1 Clean-up on Saturday April 26th from 9am-noon. It’s safe and fun and easy way to complete your community service hours. Please call (571) 285-3772 or visit: www.kpwb.org for more info.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more as the next tutor training is April 26th.
· You don’t want to miss Compost Awareness Day on Saturday April 26th from 10am-2pm at the Balls Ford Yard Waste Composting facility. The Master gardeners will be there as well of lots of other neat exhibits. Please visit: pwcgov.org/trashandrecylcing for more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of Prince William are looking for volunteer tutors to work with adults. The next training is May 17th. Please visit: lvapw.org for more info.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is looking for volunteers’ age 55+ to drive veterans to their doctors’ appointments. We have one lady who also needs a ride to dialysis several times a week. Come join our team of volunteers to help folks with a ride. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 for more info.
· The March for Babies is right around the corner on Sunday April 27th in Old Town Manassas at 9am. Gather your family, friends and colleagues to join in the fun exercise for a great cause. Please call (571) 257-2330 to learn more
· Brain Injury Services needs a volunteer to visit a gentleman in Fairfax and a woman in Burke. All that is involved is stopping by a couple times a month for a friendly visit. Please call Michelle at (703) 451-8881 ext. 232 to learn more
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
July 27, 2016
July 26, 2016
July 22, 2016
July 19, 2016
July 18, 2016