News Call to Action: Dumfries School Children Need Homework Help
· Good morning Prince William – Volunteers are needed on Sunday April 6th from 9am-noon for the spring cleaning of the Merrimac Farm Stone House in Nokesville. It’s the perfect way to get your hands a little dirty by sprucing up the gardens, yard and visitor center. Please call Kim or Karen at (703) 490-5200 for more info.
· Birmingham Green needs chess boards and pieces for the men’s group. Please email Zach at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
· The Saved Hands Foundation in Woodbridge provides business skill classes to disadvantaged individuals. Volunteers are needed to teach Microsoft Office classes and they also need a grant writer to help them reach more clients. Please call Pamela at (571) 572-9013 for more info.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is looking for volunteers’ age 55+ to drive veterans to their doctors’ appointments. We have one lady who also needs a ride to dialysis several times a week. Come join our team of volunteers to help folks with a ride. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 for more info.
· SERVE in Manassas provides hundreds of families with basic food items for their families. Volunteers are needed to help screen clients by updating family information and coping documentation. Volunteers must be at least 18yrs old and commit to a regular schedule. Come be part of this winning team by calling Jan at (571) 748-2621.
· The BARN is gearing up for their spring activities. Volunteers are needed to paint a couple of rooms at the shelter as well as 9 volunteers are needed to tutor children and moms in life skill topics. You also don’t want to miss the huge yard sale on Saturday April 12th from 8am-noon. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for all the specifics.
· Keep Prince William Beautiful needs volunteers for the Annual Route 1 Clean-up on Saturday April 26th from 9am-noon. It’s safe and fun and easy way to complete your community service hours. Please call (571) 285-3772 or visit: www.kpwb.org for more info.
· The HELP Center in Manassas offers computer classes and other skill-building opportunities to adults. They are looking for donated computers with Windows 7 installed so they can teach more students. Please call Kathy at (571) 379-5583 in you can help them.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to work with ESL adult learners. No prior experience is needed as you will be given all the tools needed to make a successful partnership with your student. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· The House of Mercy in Gainesville has started a new healthy program including exercise classes and workshops for healthy eating. Healthy food donations are needed for these families. Items such as whole-grain pasta, low-sugar items and proteins are needed. Please call (703) 659-1636 for more info.
· The March for Babies is right around the corner on Sunday April 27th in Old Town Manassas at 9am. Gather your family, friends and colleagues to join in the fun exercise for a great cause. Please call (571) 257-2330 to learn more
· The Meals on Wheels Program need volunteer drivers to deliver a warm noon time meal to homebound seniors. You will have a predetermined route from either the Manassas or Woodbridge Senior Center and it only take about 2 hours to complete. Schedules are easily adaptable to your schedule. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
· Brain Injury Services needs a volunteer to visit a gentleman in Fairfax and a woman in Burke. All that is involved is stopping by a couple times a month for a friendly visit. Please call Michelle at (703) 451-8881 ext. 232 to learn more
· The Neighborhood Tutoring program needs volunteers in the Dumfries area to help children with their homework as well as volunteers to help with developing new programming. Please call Duane at (703) 743-1974 to learn more.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
July 27, 2016
July 26, 2016
July 22, 2016
July 19, 2016
July 18, 2016