Call to Action: Lady Needs a Ride to Dialysis
· Good morning – The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is looking for volunteers’ age 55+ to drive veterans to their doctors’ appointments. We have one lady who also needs a ride to dialysis several times a week. Come join our team of volunteers to help folks with a ride. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 for more info.
· SERVE food closet is running a little low again on their food inventory for needy families. Items needed include rice, dried beans, pasta, granola bars, oatmeal, toiletries of all kinds and diapers! Please email Pam at:email@example.com for more info.
· The BARN is gearing up for their spring activities. Volunteers are needed to paint a couple of rooms at the shelter as well as 9 volunteers are needed to tutor children and moms in life skill topics. You also don’t want to miss the huge yard sale on Saturday April 12th from 8am-noon. Please call Tammy at (703) 369-1325 for all the specifics.
· It’s truly spring and the March for Babies is right around the corner on Sunday April 27th in Old Town Manassas at 9am. Gather your family, friends and colleagues to join in the fun exercise for a great cause. Please call (571) 257-2330 to learn more
· The Meals on Wheels Program need volunteer drivers to deliver a warm noon time meal to homebound seniors. You will have a predetermined route from either the Manassas or Woodbridge Senior Center and it only take about 2 hours to complete. Schedules are easily adaptable to your schedule. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
· The Manassas Museum is looking for weekend volunteer docents. These docents greet visitors and give a short introduction about the exhibits. Shifts are either 10am-1:30 pm or 1:30-5pm. It’s a great way to meet people from all over the world. Please visit: manassascity.org/docent to learn more.
· ACTS in Dumfries is looking for volunteer groups to “Adopt-A-Day” which is to provide breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner to the residents of the Beverly Warren Shelter. It’s a great way to bring your family and friends together to help another family by providing a few warm nutritious meals. Please call (703) 221-3188 to learn more.
· SERVE is looking for a few volunteers on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings to provide children’s activities to the residents. Volunteers must be at least 16 yr. old and adult volunteers must pass a background check. Groups of up to 10 people are welcome. Please call Jan at (571) 748-2621 to learn more
· Brain Injury Services needs a volunteer to visit a gentleman in Fairfax and a woman in Burke. All that is involved is stopping by a couple times a month for a friendly visit. Please call Michelle at (703) 451-8881 ext. 232 to learn more
· The Neighborhood Tutoring program needs volunteers in the Dumfries area to help children with their homework as well as volunteers to help with developing new programming. Please call Duane at (703) 743-1974 to learn more.
· Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to help in the office so if construction isn’t your thing you can still be part of this organization. Please call (703) 369-6708 to learn more or visit their website at: habitatpwc.org. Habitat for Humanity also has a great volunteer program for scouts and middle schoolers by distributing door hangers in this neighborhood during the workdays. These door hangers have lots of good info on the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative, the Restore and the Cars for Homes Program and give Habitat a special link to this neighborhood.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.
Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
April 26, 2016
April 25, 2016