Call to Action: Habitat Re Store Needs Furniture, Appliances
– March 1, 2014 10:01 am
· Good morning Prince William – spring is right around the corner and the wonderful folks at Special Olympics are gearing up for lots of sports activities. Coaches and volunteers are needed to teach golf and volunteers are needed to help the athletes in tennis, track & field, and swimming. You don’t want to miss the opportunity to get out and enjoy fresh air and super people. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
· The Osbourn HS After Prom Party Committee needs door prizes for their super party on Saturday May 10th at the Freedom Center. The After Prom Party is the perfect way for kids to have fun, be safe and the community shares a little fun with them. Cool door prizes include gift certificates to your restaurant of choice, movie passes, athletic event tickets and certainly monetary donations for the committee to pick up these fun things for you. Don’t miss the opportunity to give these kids a memorable time. Please email them at: email@example.com for more info.
· The Habitat ReStore is in need of donations including furniture, appliances, cabinets and all the other items that can be used in anyone’s home. It’s the perfect time to update your home and give your donation a new home. Please call (703) 369-6145 for free donation pick-up.
· You don’t want to miss the St. Patrick’s celebration to benefit kids on Saturday March 15th at the Columbus Grill. The fun evening includes dinner, dancing with a live band and beverages for just $35 per person and an Easter Basket to be distributed to needy kids in Manassas. Come join the fun. Advance ticket sales only at: columbusgrill.net.
· Don’t forget about our Eagle Scout Project to benefit unsheltered homeless folks in the eastern part of our community. This scout is collecting tents, tarps, sleeping bags, quilts, ponchos backpacks non-perishable items and certainly personal care items to help these individuals be warm. This is a fabulous project and huge Cheers to this young man. He will be at Grace Baptist Church on March 10 to collect donations or you can drop them off at Supervisor Frank Prinicipi’s office at the Ferlazzo Building up until March 20th. Please call Charles with any questions at (703) 473-6868.
· Volunteers are needed to help Keep Prince William Beautiful Annual Route 1 Clean Sweep on Saturday April 26th from 9am-noon. This is a perfect opportunity to get your hands a little dirty and make a great impact on our community. Volunteers will receive snacks, refreshments and even a t-shirt if you register by April 1st. Please call Anna at (571) 285-3772 to learn more.
· Brain Injury Services needs a volunteer to visit a gentleman in Fairfax. All that is involved is stopping by a couple times a month for a friendly visit. Please call Michelle at (703) 451-8881 ext. 232 to learn more
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program – RSVP is looking for volunteers age 55 and older to drive veterans or their spouses to local doctor’s appointments. You’ll have lots of notice to be matched up with your passenger and it’s a super way to lend a hand to a vet. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 to learn more about this and many more opportunities.
· Help feed the hungry! The SERVE campus needs some dedicated volunteers to screen clients seeking food assistance. Please contact Jan for details at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also please remember to mark your calendars for Saturday March 8th for the Annual Strike Out Hunger Bowl-a-Thon for SERVE. Start gathering your friends and family and form a 5 member team to compete in this fun event at Bowl America in Manassas. This event gets better every year and of course for a great cause. Please email Pam at: email@example.com for sponsorship opportunities and more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William needs you to help an adult learn to read and write. The next Tutor Training Workshop is March 22, 2014. There is a one-time fee of $35 for materials. Imagine the difference you can make in someone’s life! Contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to help in the office so if construction isn’t your thing you can still be part of this organization. Please call (703) 369-6708 to learn more or visit their website at: habitatpwc.org. Habitat for Humanity also has a great volunteer program for scouts and middle schoolers by distributing door hangers in this neighborhood during the workdays. These door hangers have lots of good info on the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative, the Restore and the Cars for Homes Program and give Habitat a special link to this neighborhood.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.