News Call to Action: Eagle Scout Project to Help Homeless
· Good morning Prince William – we have a young man working on his Eagle Scout Project to benefit unsheltered homeless folks in the eastern part of our community. This scout is collecting tents, tarps, sleeping bags, quilts, ponchos backpacks non-perishable items and certainly personal care items to help these individuals be warm. This is a fabulous project and huge Cheers to this young man. He will be at Grace Baptist Church on March 10 to collect donations. Please call Charles with any questions at (703) 473-6868.
· Volunteers are needed to help Keep Prince William Beautiful with their next community survey on March 12th from 9am-12noon. It’s a great way to learn more about your community by helping them collect data. On March 12th you’ll join other volunteers and be driven around to conduct this assessment. Please call Anna at (571) 285-3772 to learn more.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program – RSVP is looking for volunteers age 55 and older to drive veterans or their spouses to local doctor’s appointments. You’ll have lots of notice to be matched up with your passenger and it’s a super way to lend a hand to a vet. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 to learn more about this and many more opportunities.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for a few more volunteers needed to visit clients in specific neighborhoods. They have a client in Fairfax who would love the company of Columbia University alum as he is very proudly of the class of 1940. They also have a lady in McLean who is Iranian-American and loves to chat about culture and interesting magazines. Please email Michelle at: email@example.com to learn more.
· Help feed the hungry! The SERVE campus needs some dedicated volunteers to screen clients seeking food assistance. Please contact Jan for details at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also please remember to mark your calendars for Saturday March 8th for the Annual Strike Out Hunger Bowl-a-Thon for SERVE. Start gathering your friends and family and form a 5 member team to compete in this fun event at Bowl America in Manassas. This event gets better every year and of course for a great cause. Please email Pam at: email@example.com for sponsorship opportunities and more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William needs you to help an adult learn to read and write. The next Tutor Training Workshop is March 22, 2014. There is a one-time fee of $35 for materials. Imagine the difference you can make in someone’s life! Contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Birmingham Green Nursing Home has a very special need for a volunteer who can speak polish. If that is you, please call Zach at (703) 257-6252 to learn more.
· Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to help in the office so if construction isn’t your thing you can still be part of this organization. Please call (703) 369-6708 to learn more or visit their website at: habitatpwc.org. Habitat for Humanity also has a great volunteer program for scouts and middle schoolers by distributing door hangers in this neighborhood during the workdays. These door hangers have lots of good info on the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative, the Restore and the Cars for Homes Program and give Habitat a special link to this neighborhood.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
July 22, 2016
July 19, 2016
July 18, 2016
July 18, 2016
July 15, 2016