News Call to Action: Strike Out Hunger Bowl-a-Thon
· Good morning – SERVE is looking for a few hearty volunteers to help with the Annual Point in Time Count of the sheltered and unsheltered homeless population. This event is Wednesday January 29th from 6am-11am. You must be at least 18yrs old since it will include travel to campsites to offer assistance, food and supplies. Please Jan at (574) 748-2621 to learn more about this very important community service.
· Please mark your calendars for Saturday March 8th for the Annual Strike Out Hunger Bowl-a-Thon for SERVE. Start gathering your friends and family and form a 5 member team to compete in this fun event at Bowl America in Manassas. This event gets better every year and of course for a great cause. Please email Pam at: firstname.lastname@example.org for sponsorship opportunities and more info.
· Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers beginning this week at the home of a senior veteran. Repairs include installing grab bars, repairing plumbing problems, fixing gutters and siding and other accessibility accommodations. These repairs will allow this very cute couple to continue living in their home. Please call (703) 369-6708 to learn more or visit their website at: habitatpwc.org. Habitat for Humanity also has a great volunteer program for scouts and middle schoolers by distributing door hangers in neighborhoods across the community. These door hangers have lots of good info on the Neighborhood Revitalization Initiative, the Restore and the Cars for Homes Program.
· RSVP- the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for senior volunteer’s age 55+ to drive veterans and/or their spouses to their doctor’s appointments here in our community. This program just started 6 months ago and has grown quickly with the number of vets needing a safe ride. Please email Coleen at: email@example.com to learn more. These appointments are scheduled in advance and will work easily with your other commitments!
· The super teen volunteers with the Joe 15 team are having their 7th Annual Blood Drive on Saturday January 25th from 9am-2:30pm. Please give the gift of life and support these great kids by scheduling your appointment at: redcrossblood.org/make-donation and enter sponsor code: 05312539
· BARN Transitional Housing needs a volunteer driver to go to Woodbridge once a week and pick up donations. The job just takes 4 hours and you do not need to load or unload just have a good driving record. Please call Tammy at (571) 428-2571 to learn more.
· Brain Injury Services is looking for several volunteers to visit clients in specific neighborhoods. They have a lady in Fairfax would love company to assist her with fitness routine and grocery shopping. They have a gentleman in Centreville would love to learn how to play chess. They have a client in Manassas who would like company and to get out for lunch or a movie and lastly they have a teenager in Alexandria who would love to play basketball or go to a movie. Please email Michelle at: firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
· Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William needs you to help an adult learn to read and write. The next Tutor Training Workshop is March 22, 2014. There is a one-time fee of $35 for materials. Imagine the difference you can make in someone’s life! Contact at email@example.com.
· Catholic Charities has a couple of programs for the immigrant community. Volunteers are needed in both Manassas and Woodbridge as ESOL and Citizenship teachers. Training and all the materials are provided. This is a unique opportunity. Please call (571) 208-1572 for all the specifics.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local
A word from our sponsors...
June 25, 2016
June 23, 2016
June 22, 2016
June 21, 2016
June 16, 2016
June 16, 2016