News Propane Leak Prompts Widewater Elementary Evacuation
Students, faculty, and staff have been given the all clear to re-enter Widewater Elementary School after a propane gas leak was found.
At 9:40 a.m., 20 minutes after fire and rescue crews were called to the scene, officials said they secured the gas leak and that it was safe for students to reenter the building.
NORTH STAFFORD, Va. — Widewater Elementary School in Stafford County was evacuated this morning after someone smelled what they thought was gas inside the building.
A smell of propane was noticed in a school utility room and that prompted the evacuation, according to initial reports.
Fire and rescue crews have been called to the scene and found a leaking propane pipe inside a utility room. The pipe was used to feed an external generator at the school, according to initial reports.
Fire and rescue crews will monitor the situation and are expected to provide an “all clear” that would permit students to reenter the building.
Send news and photos to Potomac Local
Subscribe Now for Free!
Get updates straight to your inbox.
A word from our sponsors...
January 13, 2017
January 9, 2017
January 6, 2017
January 5, 2017
December 29, 2016
December 27, 2016