Now Hiring: Dental Assistant
– December 8, 2013 4:01 pm
Position Description: Dental Assistant
Direct Report: Dental Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Dental Assistant assists Dentists with patient care through a variety of tasks. The health conditions include common, complex and/or advanced orally related diseases needing continued supervision of the prescribed treatment plan. The Dental Assistant will aid in the explanation of the treatment plan and basic oral hygiene techniques such as brushing and flossing. This person collaborates with other medical providers and support staff, to complete his or her work.
1. Assists patients in resolving minor oral health difficulties, answering their questions and giving directions to patients as authorized by the Dentist.
2. Prepares operatory for patient treatment as per GPWCHC protocols. Serves as Dentist’s chair-side assistant during patient visits.
3. Prepares patients for x-rays and properly exposes and develops dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department directive and protocol.
4. Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by the Dentist in accordance with state regulation and law and GPWCHC protocol.
5. Maintains all dental practice areas in compliance with GPWCHC protocols and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
6. Maintains adequate operatory supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
7. Maintains patient records in the electronic medical records system, monitors patient flow, and assists the Dentist in assuring that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately completed and entered into the electronic medical records system.
8. Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business and patient care. Schedules follow-up appointments for patients after each visit, when appropriate, in accordance with practice protocols.
9. Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment. Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with GPWCHC policy as well as state and federal regulation(s).
10. Participates in appropriate health promotion/disease prevention activities and outreach efforts, both on-site and off-site as required.
11. As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
Qualifications, Education, and Experience
1. High School Diploma or Post-Secondary Education
2. Dental Assistant Diploma/Certificate
3. Qualified in Basic Life Support Techniques/CPR
4. Bilingual (English/Spanish), Certified in Medical Translation (Preferred)
5. 5 Years Of Experience In Dental Practice
Greater Prince William Community Health Center
4379 Ridgewood Center Drive, Suite 102, Woodbridge, VA 22192