Urgent Need for Food, Drivers in Region
– December 7, 2013 8:30 am
Volunteer Opportunities in the Area
· Good morning . . . the Holidays are upon us and the House of Mercy has an urgent need for food donations at this time. The shelves are empty so all staples are needed. Please pick up a few extra canned goods, pasta, sauces, fruits and vegetables as you can. The food pantry is located at 8170 Flannery Court in Manassas which is right off of Wellington Road. Hours are Monday – Friday 11am-5pm and Wednesday until 8pm.
· The Brain Injury Services is looking for a special volunteer who is a graduate of Columbia University in New York to visit a gentleman in his 90’s who is also a graduate and taught at Columbia. This gentleman lives in Fairfax would love to chat a couple of times a month about New York, Columbia and politics. They also have a gentleman in Centreville who loves to play chess. Times are very flexible! If you are this special volunteer please call Michelle at (703) 451-8881 ext. 232 to learn more.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to help tutor adults in ESL, citizenship and pre-GED. Prior experience is not need as you will receive all the training needed for success. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 for more information.
· Volunteers are needed at ACTS for a crisis intervention hotline; training is 40 hours, beginning the weekend of January 25-26. If you are interested in making a difference please call 703-221-1144.
· Here’s a huge cheers to the Prince William SPCA in celebration of their 10th Anniversary. This wonderful organization does so much in our community to help homeless pets. Please visit their web site: www.pwspca.org to learn more and to sign-up for one of many volunteer opportunities.
· SERVE has an URGENT need for volunteer drivers for the Food Distribution Center on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Drivers take the SERVE vans to area grocery stores and restaurants to pick-up donated food and then return to SERVE for unloading and distribution. You must be at least 21 years old with a clean driving record. Contact Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org
· First Home Alliance has a fun opportunity for volunteers to help them produce a video campaign on all their services to first time homebuyers and distressed homeowners. So if you have any knowledge of video productions please give them a call at (703) 580-8838 ext. 23 to learn more.
· Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William needs you to help an adult learn to read and write. The next Tutor Training Workshop is January 11, 2014 9am to 4pm and January 25, 2014, 9am to noon. There is a one-time fee of $35 for materials. Imagine the difference you can make in someone’s life! Contact at email@example.com.
· Catholic Charities has a couple of programs for the immigrant community. Volunteers are needed in both Manassas and Woodbridge as ESOL and Citizenship teachers. Training and all the materials are provided. This is a unique opportunity. Please call Lisa at (571) 208-1572 for all the specifics.
· ACTS is entering their very busy season at their Thrift Store in Dumfries. Volunteers are needed Tuesday thru Saturday to greet donors and help them unload their car. This is a bustling place and promises to be fun for all the volunteers. Please visit their website at www.actspwc.org to complete your volunteer application form. This sounds like a great job for teens.
· ACTS Food pantry in Dumfries needs volunteer drivers on Saturday and Sunday mornings to pick-up food donations from area grocery stores. It’s a quick 3 hour shift from 9am-noon to give families needed food from extra supplies. Please call Robin at (703) 441-8606 ext. 213 to learn more.
· Contact Coleen at RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org if you can drive a cancer patient from Manassas Park to Gainesville for radiation treatments. The treatments are daily for the next 33 days at 10:15am and a ride home is needed as well. Please consider signing-up for a few days and Coleen will work her magic to get it all scheduled.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.