Warm Fuzzies Animal Rescue Needs New Home
Volunteer Opportunities in the Area
· Good morning – Ho, Ho, Ho – the holidays are right around the corner and the Salvation Army is looking for volunteers to ring the bell at various stores throughout the community. Come as a single volunteer for a 2 hour shift or bring your friends and colleagues to adopt a day a particular store. The Red Kettle program runs from November 9th – December 24th and is very important to their work. Please call Catie at (571) 580-8995 to learn more.
· Cheers to the Columbus Grill! Please come to their Ghoul N Goblin Charity Costume Ball on Saturday November 2nd at 7pm to benefit the Un-Trim-A-Tree Holiday Gift Program for needy kids. Tickets are just $50 plus a toy. The evening includes dinner, live band, dancing costume contest and fun beverages. Super fun party for a great cause. Please email Sue for tickets at:email@example.com
· Please vote for Volunteer Prince William to support the Un-Trim-A-Tree Holiday Gift Program for needy kids. All you need to do is visit: potomaclocal.com/real-estate and cast your vote for Volunteer Prince William. Fun and simple- thank you
· Keep Prince William Beautiful is looking for volunteer leaders for positions on their Board of Directors. No experience necessary but there is a 2 year commitment, dues are $60 annually, and meetings are 6 times a year starting at 1pm on odd months. Please call Kiliaen at (571) 285-3772 to learn more
· The 9th Annual Walk for Autism is Saturday October 26th at the Fairgrounds. The day includes a 5K run, family fun walk, vendors, activities and a great way to spend a beautiful Saturday. Volunteers are needed throughout the day. Please call Dorothy at (571) 239-9902 to learn more.
· Wow – if you thought this year was flying by, I’d agree because those wonderful folks at the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program are gearing up for the tax season. Yikes but it’s a super yikes. Volunteers are needed to help families with their taxes on Saturday’s from 10am-1pm in Woodbridge. The program is offered from late January to April 12th. Experience and education are preferred and training will be provided on December 3rd. You must pass the exam and other training dates will be available. You do not need to commit to all 10 Saturdays. This is a wonderful program especially for families and seniors needing your expertise to help them navigate the system. Please call Mary or James at (571) 749-7838 to learn more.
· BEACON Adult Literacy needs volunteers to teach ESL classes in the Manassas area during the week. Don’t worry – they will give you all the skills and hints to be successful. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· Area Agency on Aging needs volunteers to be the front desk receptionist at the Senior Center Adult Day Center in Woodbridge and the senior center in Manassas. Volunteer shifts are 2-4 hours, once a week in either the morning or afternoon. Duties include a friendly customer service as well as answering the phones and offer tours of the facility. This is wonderful way to meet new friends. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
· October 19th is Recycles Day. Volunteers are needed at the landfill to help with games, concessions and raffles all run by Keep Prince William beautiful. There is also a free community shred for residents. Please call Colin at (571) 285-3772 to learn more
· The Alzheimer’s Association Annual Walk is Saturday October 19th. Volunteers are needed for giving direction to walkers on the route, and cheerleading. This is fun event for a super cause. Please call Sonya at (703) 766-9025 to learn more.
· The Bull Run Street Rods are meeting at the route 28 Burger King on Saturday October 19th from 4-8pm to collect toys for the Un-Trim-A-Tree Holiday Gift program. Come meet the club members, the Sheriff’s Office volunteers and the members of the Prince William Cruisers and bring a toy for a kid in need. Call Dennis at (703) 569-6897 for more info.
· You won’t want to miss the 3rd Annual I Walk for ACTS event also on Saturday October 19th. Walker’s registration is just $20. It’s a super fun community day at Merchant’s Park from 10am-2pm and of course for a great cause. Please call Robin at (703) 441-8606 ext. 213 for more info.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is looking for volunteer’s age 55+ to be mentors at Pattie Elementary School on route 234. Come visit a child during the school day to help with an activity or school work. You can be a huge influence on a child in a short period of time. Please call Coleen at (571) 292-5307 for more info.\
· Hey scouts and teens- ACTS would love your help in securing recycled grocery bags for their food pantry. Look around your school or neighborhood to collect this valuable little item so families in need have proper bags to take their groceries home. You can drop them off at the ACTS Pantry or call Robin at (703) 441-8606 ext. 213 for more info
· Warm Fuzzies Animal Rescue needs a new home base! They are looking for a rescue friendly home to continue their super work. Volunteers are also needed to help in the office with bookkeeping and fundraising or working directly with the kittens through fostering or socializing with them. They also need large metal dog crates for events. Please email Lorie at: firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
· The PWC Animal Control Bureau needs volunteers on Saturday October 26th and Sunday October 27th for the Annual Fall 4 Fur Adopt-a-Thon. This fun event runs all day. This fun community day has a costume contest and children’s activities. Please email Beate at:email@example.com for more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of America is gearing up for their next tutor training on November 23rd. No experience necessary! Please visit their website: lvapw.org to learn more.
· Last but certainly not least! Volunteer Prince William is hosting Volunteer Management Training series in January and February. Come hone your skills as a professional volunteer manager in this 6 week program. We will meet every Thursday beginning January 9th from 9am-11am in Dale City. Topics covered include: understanding volunteering, planning your program, recruiting and placing volunteers, training and orienting volunteers, supervising volunteers to maximize their experience and evaluating your program. This training program is free and promises to be worth your time and talent investment. Please visit our website to register for the training series at:volunteerprincewilliam.org
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.Send news and photos to Potomac Local