Volunteers Needed: Manassas Safe House Needs Grocery Shopping Help
– September 14, 2013 12:13 pm
Volunteer Opportunities in the Area
· Good morning – SERVE needs your help on Monday September 16th from 8am-noon to move donated clothing items from the Kmart store in Manassas to their new Save ‘n Thrift store. This is very kind donation from the Kmart folks. Volunteers must be at least age 16. Please meet Mr. Williams at the Kmart store. Please email Jan at: firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
· ACTS is still looking for a volunteer to shop for groceries every other week for the Manassas Safe House. This is a great opportunity for a family, couple of friends to share some time together and provide a vital service to battered women and their children at the safe house. Please call Dotty at (703) 221-4460 to learn more.
· Literacy Volunteers of America is gearing up for their next volunteer training starting September 21st. So enjoy your summer and mark your calendars to offer another the gift of reading this fall. Please visit their website at: lvapw.org to learn more.
· Come celebrate National Public Lands Day at Leesylvania State Park on Saturday September 28th. Volunteers of all ages are needed for clean-up projects in the park and along the shoreline. This project is 11am-2pm on a perfect fall day. Please report to the visitor center for directions.
· Habitat for Humanity is committed to helping low income residents stay safe in their homes by making interior and exterior repairs to the home. Every week volunteer teams are helping families and veterans with these critical health, life and safety issues. If you or someone you know would qualify for this program, please come to the next information meeting on Friday October 11th at 6:30 pm at the Georgetown South Community Center. Please call (703) 369-6708 for more info.
· The Alzheimer’s Association Annual Walk is Saturday October 19th. Volunteers are needed now to distribute promotion flyers throughout the community. Lots of volunteers are needed on race day for registration, staff the refreshment area, giving direction to walkers on the route, and face painting. This is fun event for a super cause. Please call Sonya at (703) 766-9025 to learn more.
· The Juvenile Court Service Unit in Manassas is looking for volunteers to help at the information desk in the court house. This is a fun, fast paced environment for mornings only – Monday through Friday. Please call Ellen at (703) 792-6205 to learn more.
· Come celebrate National Disaster Preparedness Month at Manassas Mall on Saturday September 21st from 1-5pm. We will have plenty of supplies with the help of the National Civil Air Patrol Cadets for you to assemble your own free preparedness kit. We will be in the mall between JC Penney and Wal-Mart. Come by and see us.
· Historic Manassas has a super busy fall season with lots of wonderful events. Volunteers are needed at the Bands Brews and Barbecue on Saturday September 28th to sell beer and BBQ or simply pour beer. 2 shifts available – noon-4pm and 3:30-7pm. The Manassas Fall Jubilee is Saturday October 5th all day. Volunteers are needed to direct vendors in the morning, run the pumpkin patch, sell tickets and check ID’s for the Wine garden and lots of other fun jobs. Both of these events are just super fun so don’t miss them! Please email Sarah at: email@example.com for all the specifics.
· Keep Prince William Beautiful is gearing up for the Fall Cleanup Campaign. Volunteers from communities and HOA’s just need to pick your day and Keep Prince William Beautiful will provide all the supplies for the day including grabbers, vests, gloves, trash bags and landfill vouchers. All you need is the manpower. Please call Anna at (571) 285-3772 to schedule your event.
· Brain Injury Services needs a volunteer to walk with a client a couple of times a month at the Hidden Pond Nature Center right up the road in Springfield as well as a volunteer to help with technology needs. You don’t need to be a techno just have the savvy a lot of folks have to navigate phones, lap tops and such. Please call Michelle at (703) 451-8881 ext. 232 to learn more.
· Volunteer Prince William would love your thoughts and feedback on a very quick survey if you utilize volunteers from the website or this column. Please visit: www.volunteerprincewilliam.org and click on the survey.
· BEACON Adult Literacy Program needs volunteers in the Manassas area to teach ESL, adult basic Ed, citizenship and conversation. Classes are Monday through Friday mornings and evenings. Prior experience is not needed as the free training will give you all the skills needed to be successful. Volunteers may teach either mornings or evenings once or twice a week. Enjoy your summer and start in the fall. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) needs senior volunteers age 55 and older to provide transportation for a veteran to get to their local doctor’s appt. All vets are referred to us by Aging and you’ll have lots of advance notice for their appts. It’s also not too early to sign up to tutor kids in grades K-3 in reading and math next school year. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 for more info.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.