Free-Fries Promotion at Foster’s Grill in Haymarket Benefits Meals on Wheels
– August 24, 2013 8:00 am
Volunteer Opportunities in the Area
· Good morning – Dewey Animals loves kitties and has an urgent need for volunteers to help them with several different opportunities. These jobs include feeding cats living about who have been abandoned. Volunteers also catch these cats and take them to be neutered and vaccinated or provide foster care. It has been a busy year for all the rescue organizations and your help is much appreciated. Please call Toni at (571) 265-1140 to learn more about all these volunteer opportunities.
· Northern Virginia Family Service is opening up a new thrift store in Manassas soon. Volunteers are needed on Wednesday September 4th from 11am-4pm to assemble fixtures, shelving units and racks. Volunteers are also needed to accept donations and stock the store from September 5th-17th. The early shift is 10am-2pm or 3pm-7pm. Teens must be 16 or older. Please email Karen at: email@example.com or phone at (571) 748-2626 to more info. Welcome back our old friend – the Save ‘N Serve Thrift Shop!
· Stop by the Foster’s Grille in Haymarket on Thursday September 5th from 11am-9pm to receive a free order of their famous fries with the purchase of any sandwich. 10% of sale proceeds will go to the Meals on Wheels program. It’s a win-win for all.
· ACTS Turning Points is looking for a volunteer to shop for groceries every other week for their Manassas Safe House. Please call Michelle at (703) 221-4460 for more info.
· Chipotle in Lake Ridge cordially invites you to dinner on Monday September 9th from 5pm-8pm. Have fun, dinner and support Keep Prince William Beautiful. 50% of all proceeds got to this organization.
· CASA’s signature event, Evening under the Stars is Saturday September 14th from 7pm-11pm at the Harris pavilion in Manassas. Tickets and sponsorships are still available. You don’t want to miss this fabulous event with dinner, dancing and both live and silent auction to support abused kids. Please visit their website: casacis.org to learn more.
· National Preparedness Month presents lots of opportunities for groups to help educate your community on being prepared for all kinds of weather and/or man-made disasters. Volunteers are needed to distribute very informative brochures to neighborhoods, senior living facilities, Houses of Worship and your friends and family. This is a great way for your club, office, service organization and scouts to do something important on a beautiful September day. Please email Bonnie at: firstname.lastname@example.org for all the specifics
· Habitat for Humanity is still looking for a sign language interpreter to help with a new applicant who has critical home repairs. The applicant is deaf and disabled. Come help the Habitat folks help this family with immediate needs. They would also like to form a bank of interpreters for future reference. There are also a number of new home repair projects underway in Dale City and Manassas Park Please call Tiffanie at (703) 369-6708 to learn more.
· Northern Virginia Family Service Therapeutic Foster Care Program needs volunteers to provide loving homes for children in foster care. Please come to the next training session in September. Please call Ginny at (571) 748-2557 to learn more.
· Please visit any Glory Days Grill throughout the community and until September 30th to support the Hilda Barg Homeless Prevention Center. Proceeds from each check will go to this wonderful organization.
· BEACON Adult Literacy Program needs volunteers in the Manassas area to teach ESL, adult basic Ed, citizenship and conversation. Classes are Monday through Friday mornings and evenings. Prior experience is not needed as the free training will give you all the skills needed to be successful. Volunteers may teach either mornings or evenings once or twice a week. Enjoy your summer and start in the fall. Please call Caroline at (703) 368-7491 to learn more.
· The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) needs senior volunteers age 55 and older to provide transportation for a veteran to get to their local doctor’s appt. All vets are referred to us by Aging and you’ll have lots of advance notice for their appts. It’s also not too early to sign up to tutor kids in grades K-3 in reading and math next school year. Please call Coleen at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207 for more info.
· Literacy Volunteers of America is gearing up for their next volunteer training starting September 21st. So enjoy your summer and mark your calendars to offer another the gift of reading this fall. Please visit their website at: lvapw.org to learn more.
· Please mark your calendars for the Alzheimer’s Association Walk on Saturday October 19th in Old Town Manassas. Volunteers are needed for set-up, staffing tables, handing out literature and monitoring the route. Please call Sonya at (703) 766-9025 to learn more.
· If you are looking for other opportunities, please don’t forget to call my wonderful team at Volunteer Prince William. Coleen can help you with the Retired and Senior Volunteer (RSVP) opportunities at (703) 369-5292 ext. 207, Shelley can help with any individual or group project and send you weekly updates if you’d like. Shelley is at (703) 369-5292 ext. 201, and Bonnie can help you with opportunities available in Disaster Preparedness at (703) 369-5292 ext. 202. Please visit our newly re-vamped website at www.volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.